Photo: Freshly harvested organic produce from my garden, July 2012
Organic means foods without antibiotics, growth hormones, pesticides, herbicides, preservatives (like nitrates and trans fats), and other additives like high fructose corn syrup. It also means foods that are not genetically modified (GMO).
1. ANTIBIOTICS: There is some concern that antibiotics fed to animals remains in the meat ingested by humans. The antibiotics get into the human intestinal tract and cause intestinal flora imbalance, which leads to candida, which then leads to suppressed immune system and then disease. However, the good news is that studies show very little or any antibiotics from animals ends up in the human body, so this is the least of our concerns.
2. HORMONES: Growth hormones in foods (such as rBGH) have been shown to cause cancer of the prostate, breast and colon.
3. PESTICIDES AND HERBICIDES: When we eat foods sprayed with pesticides and herbicides, our bodies recognize them as foreign toxins and store them as fat. Pesticides are found in the milk, butter and cream of cows that eat grass sprayed with the stuff. More and more studies show that pesticides are accumulate in human fat cells, because the body does not know what else to do with the toxins. Pesticides not only cause fat/weight gain, but they cause pesticide poisoning deaths, memory loss, mood swings, the reduction of the brain’s capacity for abstract thought, increase cancer risk, and other health problems.
4. PRESERVATIVES: Preservatives in foods are added to make foods last longer. The most common preservative is trans fat. People who eat foods with preservatives get fat and can’t lose it easily, because trans fats are not easily broken down by the human body. People who eat them just get fatter and fatter—especially in the abdomen (where I store the most fat). Trans fats are also linked to heart disease and strokes.
5. HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP: Additives like high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) cause weight gain and other health issues. HFCS is in almost every processed food (catsup, juice, soda, salad dressing, desserts, meats, etc.)
6. GENETICALLY MODIFIED (GMO): Genetically Modified (GMO) foods cause weight gain. A 2009 study found that GMO corn fed to mice led to an increase in overall body weight of about 3.7 percent, while also increasing the weight of the liver by up to 11 percent. Hungary, France, Peru and other countries have banned the growing of GMO foods.
7. NOTE: When I moved to Europe and lived there for over a year, I ate more high-fat foods, lost fat, and gained muscle. (I didn’t lose weight because I was already skinny.) There are numerous other such similar testimonials of Americans moving to Europe and having the same thing happen. Europeans did not have preservatives, pesticides, herbicides, or HFCS in their foods. Their foods are mostly non-GMO. The people in Europe are slowly losing the good health and low fat body weight they once had as they eat more processed foods imported from America.
Sally Fallon’s “Nourishing Traditions”